151B Link Hall
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, 1994, University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA.
- M.S., Civil Engineering, 1990, University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA.
- B.E., Civil Engineering 1981, Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of Expertise:
- Forensic Engineering and Structural Failures
- Structural Assessment and Rehabilitation
- Bridge Rehabilitation with CFRP Composites
- Economy of Preventive Maintenance
- Deterioration of Existing Structures
Dr. Riyad Aboutaha, is an associate professor of structural engineering in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Syracuse University. He is a Fellow of the American Concrete Institute (ACI). Dr. Aboutaha has over 40 years of construction and research experience. In the last 32 years, he has been researching the use of new materials for renewal of civil infrastructure. Dr. Aboutaha has offered numerous seminars and workshops on evaluation and rehabilitation of concrete bridges with CFRP composites, including some for the U.S.A. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), and the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). In addition, he completed major research projects on the GFRP bar ComBAR for Schöck Bauteile GmbH of Baden-Baden, Germany, on the durability of wearing surfaces for FRP bridge decks, for NYSDOT, and most recently bridge widening using CFRP composites for Shandong DOT, China. Prof. Aboutaha’s current research interests are in the area of economy of preventive maintenance of concrete bridges, investigation of structural failures, and alteration of structural systems using CFRP composites.
- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Bridge Pier Extension with Carbon-Fiber Reinforced Polymer Flexural Reinforcement: Experimental Tests and Three-Dimensional Finite Element Modeling, by Cheng Tan, Jia Xu, and Riyad Aboutaha, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 118, No. 1, (2021) pp 251-262.
- Cyclic Flexural Performance of Fire-Damaged Reinforced Concrete Beams Strengthened with Carbon Fiber- Reinforced Polymer Plates, by Akhrawat Lenwari, Chanachai Thongchom, and Riyad S. Aboutaha, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 117, No. 6, (2020) pp. 133-146.
- Xingji Lu, Riyad S. Aboutaha (2020), “Structural strengthening of square spread footings using circular external prestressing,”Journal of Building Engineering, Volume 31, September 2020.
- Cheng Tana, Jia Xub and Riyad S. Aboutaha (2020), “Numerical analysis of RC hammer head pier cap beams,” Computers and Concrete, Vol. 25, No. 5.
- Chanachai Thongchom, Akhrawat Lenwari, and Riyad S. Aboutaha (2019) “Effect of Sustained Service Loading on Post-Fire Flexural Response of Reinforced Concrete T-Beams,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 116, pp 243-254.
- Jnaid, F., and Aboutaha, R. (2016) “Residual Flexural Strength of Corroded Reinforced Concrete Beams,” Elsevier, www.sciencedirect.com.
- EI-Helou, R., and Aboutaha, R., “Analysis of Rectangular Hybrid Steel-GFRP Reinforced Concrete Beam Columns,” Computers and Concrete, Vol. 16, No. 2 (2015) pp. 245-260.