The College of Engineering and Computer Science welcomes students from all over the world. We value the diversity of ideas and experiences that our students bring to the academic and community experience.
Between current events and the emotions of leaving home, it is natural for international students pursuing higher education in the United States to feel some trepidation. If you personally feel this way in any capacity, we’d like to assure you Syracuse University is an environment in which you will be welcomed and supported. Chancellor Kent Syverud recently shared the following words to describe the culture at Syracuse University:
“Syracuse University is built upon a deep sense of an inclusive community. This is a commitment to open and respectful dialogue, dedication to academic freedom and the search for truth, and a promise to include all voices, to listen to all viewpoints, and to embrace all members irrespective of race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, disability, veteran-military status and political views.”
In addition, there are special resources available to international students at Syracuse University. Our Center for International Services provides answers to questions about immigration regulations, passports, visas, insurance, employment, and travel. If you have personal, social, academic, health, housing, or financial problems, their staff also offers advice and counseling.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to visit the Center for International Services on campus, or reach out to them at 315.443.2457 or email@example.com. There is an advisor on call Monday through Friday, 11a.m.—3p.m. If you have questions that are specific to the College of Engineering and Computer Science, never hesitate to reach out to us through our contact page.
Prospective international students who are applying to undergraduate programs in the College of Engineering and Computer Science should have a strong record of success in math (specifically pre-calculus and/or calculus) as well as science (specifically chemistry or physics). Please see the Office of Admissions’ website for complete details on the application process for prospective international undergraduate students.
There are a number of additional resources for international students.
TOEFL or IELTS Score
All international applications are required to submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score. You may submit one score or the other; you do not need to submit both.
For Spring ’23 and Fall ’23 applications, we are accepting Duolingo in addition to TOEFL/IELTS to demonstrate language proficiency. If using Duolingo, please contact Duolingo to send scores directly to Syracuse University.
- Applicants who are citizens of the following English-speaking countries are not required to submit TOEFL scores: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United Kingdom.
- For more information on TOEFL scores, whether you need to submit your scores, and other common questions for international applicants to Syracuse University, please visit the International Student FAQ page.
If you have completed an advanced degree taught at an accredited U.S. educational institution, your TOELF/IELTS requirement will be waived upon review of your application.
All admitted international applicants must show evidence of having secured sufficient funding for at least the first year of graduate study in order for Syracuse University to issue your visa eligibility document (also known as an I-20), which is required in order to have your student visa authorized.
Your financial documents have no bearing on your consideration for scholarships or awards. Program application reviewers do not have access to view your financial documents.
Applicants who choose to submit financial statements after an offer of admission is made may experience processing and delivery delays that can impact the receipt of the I-20 and the schedule of your visa appointment.
Requirements for financial documentation
- If you are a privately-sponsored applicant: you’ll need to demonstrate acceptable evidence of your funding. This consists of a certified current bank statement on official bank letterhead, signed by an authorized bank official, indicating sufficient funds exist to meet at least first-year expenses in U.S. dollars as per Syracuse University’s current estimate.
- If you are a government-sponsored applicant: you’ll need to submit an original award letter or a certified copy of an award letter. The letter must state the annual amount of the award in U.S. dollars. All financial documents must be written in English and valid within one year of the start of the semester.
How to submit financial documentation
- By email: You can scan your financial documents and email them to Syracuse University Enrollment Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By fax: You can fax your funding documentation to 315-443-3423
On all documents you send via fax, please include:
Your full name
Date of birth
Name of the program you are applying to
Your SU I.D. number (this is issued to you after you submit your application)
Please visit https://www.syracuse.edu/admissions/graduate/international/funding-requirements/ for additional information.
Special note to International Applicants
Please be advised that any inconsistency in the spelling of your name or inclusion of an invalid address may delay the processing of your application materials. It is strongly recommended that the spelling and order of names be consistent with the applicant’s passport.
Where to Send Supplementary Application Materials
Your application and supporting materials should be submitted online. If you need to send any additional items, please mail to:
Graduate Admissions Processing
P.O. Box 35060
Syracuse, NY 13235-5060
Note: If you are sending materials using a package delivery company (i.e. FedEx, UPS, DHL), please use this address:
Enrollment Management Processing Center
Graduate Admissions Processing
716 E. Washington St., Suite 200
Syracuse, New York 13210-1579