2-212 CST<br>3-173 CST
- Ph. D. (Illinois) 1976
- Center of Advanced Systems and Engineering (CASE), Executive Director
Areas of Expertise:
- Distributed sensor networks and data fusion
- Statistical inference
- Wireless communications
- Signal processing
- Machine learning
- Human-machine teaming
My research addresses fundamental questions in statistics-based signal processing, data/information fusion, sensor data processing, data analytics, machine learning and AI. My research has been generously funded for over four decades by Department of Defense, NSF, ARPA-E, EPA and many companies. Starting in the early 1980s, I have pioneered the area of data/information fusion and inference in sensor networks. While a lot of my work has been inspired by Department of Defense applications, I have also applied my research results to a wide variety of non-defense applications including IoT and health-related applications. For example, I have worked on imaging for breast cancer detection, and methods for more accurate Alzheimer disease detection. My current research includes detection and tracking, secure inference in distributed sensing systems, human-machine teaming for inference, and information fusion.
Honors and Awards:
- ASEE Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award, 1981
- IEEE Fellow 1997
- Third Millennium Medal IEEE 2000
- President International Society of Information Fusion 2001.
- Judith A. Resnik Award IEEE 2012
- Doctor of Engineering honoris causa, Drexel University, 2014
- Distinguished Alumni Award, ECE Department, Univ. of Illinois, 2015
- Yaakov Bar-Shalom Award for a Lifetime of Excellence in Information Fusion, 2018
- Claude Shannon-Harry Nyquist Technical Achievement Award, IEEE Signal Proc. Society, 2021
- Pioneer Award, IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Society, 2021
- P.K. Varshney, Distributed Detection and Data Fusion, Springer-Verlag, 1997.
- G.L. Foresti, C. S. Regazzoni, and P. K. Varshney (eds.), Multisensor Surveillance Systems: The Fusion Perspective, Kluwer Academic Press, 2003.
- K. Varshney and M. K. Arora (eds.), Advanced Image Processing Techniques for Remotely Sensed Hyperspectral Data, Springer Verlag, 2004.
- A. Vempaty, B. Kailkhura and P. K. Varshney, Secure Networked Inference with Unreliable Data Sources, Springer 2018
Selected Recent Papers
- Li, Q., Kailkhura, B., Goldhahn, R., Ray, P., and Varshney, P. K., “Robust Decentralized Learning Using ADMM With Unreliable Agents”, IEEE Trans. Signal Process, pp. 2743 – 2757, June, 2022
- Trezza, A., Bucci, D. J., and Varshney, P. K., “Multi-Sensor Joint Adaptive Birth Sampler for Labeled Random Finite Set Tracking”, IEEE Trans. Signal Process, pp. 1010 – 1025, Feb, 2022
- Yuan, Y., Yi, W., and Varshney, P. K., “Exponential Mixture Density based Approximation to Posterior Cramér-Rao Lower Bound for Distributed Target Tracking”, IEEE Trans. Signal Process, pp. 862 – 877, Feb, 2022
- Chen, Q., Geng, B., Han, Y., and Varshney, P. K., “Enhanced Audit Bit Based Distributed Bayesian Detection in the Presence of Strategic Attacks”, IEEE Trans. on Signal and Information Process. over Networks, pp. 49 – 62, Jan, 2022
- Bulusu, S., Khanduri, P., Kafle, S., Sharma, P., and Varshney, P. K., “Byzantine Resilient Non-Convex SCSG With Distributed Batch Gradient Computations”, IEEE Trans. on Signal and Information Process. over Networks ., pp. 754 – 766, Nov, 2021
- Cheng, X., Khanduri, P., Chen, B., and Varshney, P. K., “Joint Collaboration and Compression Design for Distributed Sequential Estimation in a Wireless Sensor Network”, IEEE Trans. Signal Process, pp. 5448 – 5462, Sept, 2021
- Geng, B., Cheng, X., Brahma, S., Kellen, D., and Varshney, P. K., “Collaborative Human Decision Making with Heterogeneous Agents”, IEEE Trans. on Computational Social Systems., pp. 469 – 479, Jul, 2021
- Li, C., Li, G., and Varshney, P. K., “Communication-Efficient Federated Learning Based on Compressed Sensing”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal., pp. 15531 – 15541, Apr, 2021
- Geng, B., Li, Q., and Varshney, P. K., “Utility Theory Based Optimal Resource Consumption For Inference In IoT Systems”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal., pp. 12279 – 12288, Mar, 2021
- Ciuonzo, D., Rossi, P.S., and Varshney, P. K., “Distributed Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks Under Multiplicative Fading via Generalized Score Tests”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal., pp. 9059 – 9071, Feb, 2021
- Joseph, G., Nettasinghe , B., Krishnamurthy, V., and Varshney, P. K., “Controllability of Network Opinion in Erdos-Renyi Graphs Using Sparse Control Inputs”, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization., pp. 2321-2345, Jan, 2021
- Joseph, G. and Varshney, P. K., “Measurement Bounds for Compressed Sensing in Sensor Networks With Missing Data”, IEEE Trans. Signal Process., pp. 905-916, Jan, 2021