Areas of Expertise:
- Stochastic modeling, control, and optimization
- Data science: predictive and prescriptive analytics
- Logistics and scheduling
- Energy management
- Queues and networks
Dr. Gautam’s research is on efficiently-operating systems with dynamics and uncertainty. He uses data-driven methods complemented by stochastic models for optimal design, performance analysis, and control of such systems. He has applied this work in computer systems, data centers, wireless and wireline networks, microgrids with renewable energy sources, smart manufacturing, and transportation. His methodologies are grounded in applied probability, data science, and optimization.
Honors and Awards:
- Amazon Scholar, Amazon Corporate LLC, May 2019-present.
- Fellow, IISE (Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers, formerly IIE), May 2017.
- Outstanding Young Industrial Engineer Award (education category), by IIE, May 2006.
- Xu, J., Hou, I.-H. and Gautam, N. (2022) Age of information for single buffer systems with vacation server, IEEE-Trans. on Network Science and Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 3, 1198 – 1214.
- Xu, J. and Gautam, N. (2021) Peak Age of Information in Priority Queueing Systems, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 67, No. 1, 373-390.
- Ejaz, I., Alvarado, M., Gautam, N., Gebraeel, N. and Lawley, M. (2019) Condition-Based Maintenance for Queues with Degrading Servers, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 4.
- Kwon, S., Ntaimo, L. and Gautam, N. (2019) Demand Response in Data Centers: Integration of Server Provisioning and Power Procurement, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 51, No. 4.
- Xu, J., Tran, H., Gautam, N. and Bukkapatnam, S. (2019) Joint Production and Maintenance Operations in Smart Custom-Manufacturing Systems, IISE Transactions, Vol. 51, No. 4, 406-421.
- Kwon, S., Ntaimo, L. and Gautam, N. (2017) Optimal Day-Ahead Power Procurement with Renewable Energy and Demand Response, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 32, No. 5, 3924-3933.
- Hsu, Y., Abedini, N., Gautam, N., Sprintson, A. and Shakkottai, S. (2015) Opportunities for Network Coding: To Wait or Not to Wait, IEEE Transactions on Networking, Vol. 23, No. 6, 1876 – 1889.
- Mohapatra, A., Gautam, N., Sprintson, A. and Shakkottai, S. (2014) Optimal Network Coding Decisions in Delay-sensitive Wireless Transmission, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 62, No. 8, 2965-2976.
- Ko, Y.-M. and Gautam, N. (2013) Critically loaded multi-server queues with abandonments, retrials, and time-varying parameters, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 25, No. 2, 285-301.
- Gautam, N. (2012) Analysis of Queues: Methods and Applications, 802 pages, CRC Press (Taylor and Francis), Boca Raton, FL.