Dean, College of Engineering and Computer Science
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
223 Link Hall
- PhD, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2000
- BS, Mathematical Sciences, Clemson University, 1996
- Integer programming and combinatorial optimization
- Network flows and facility location
- Computational optimization methods
- Large-scale optimization due to uncertainty or robustness considerations
- 2019 Member, Academy of Distinguished Alumni for the Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at Virginia Tech
- 2018 Fellow, Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers
- 2014 Glover-Klingman Prize for Best Paper in Networks (Sullivan and Smith, 2014)
- 2010 Hamed K. Eldin Outstanding Young Industrial Engineer in Education Award
- 2009 IIE Operations Research Division Teaching Award
- 2007 IIE Transactions Best Paper Award (Lim and Smith, 2007)
- 2002 Young Investigator Award recipient (awarded by Office of Naval Research)
Lozano, L. and Smith, J.C., “A Binary Decision Diagram Based Algorithm for Solving a Class of Binary Two-Stage Stochastic Programs,” to appear in Mathematical Programming, 2019.
Curry, R.M. and Smith, J.C., “Models and Algorithms for Maximum Flow Problems Having Semicontinuous Path Flow Constraints,” IISE Transactions, 50(6), 484-498, 2018.
Lozano, L. and Smith, J.C., “A Value-Function-Based Exact Approach for the Bilevel Mixed-Integer Programming Problem,” Operations Research, 65(3), 768-786, 2017.
Sefair, J. and Smith, J.C., “Dynamic Shortest-Path Interdiction,” Networks, 68(4), 315-330, 2016.
Romich, A., Lan, G., and Smith, J.C., “Optimizing Placement of Stationary Monitors,” IIE Transactions, 47(6), 556-576, 2015.