Newly Admitted Students FAQS

Are orientations mandatory?

Yes. You must attend all orientations. In particular, the EECS departmental orientation and the international student orientation are extremely important. If you miss the department orientation, you won’t be able to register for the proper courses; if you miss the international student orientation, you may not be educated about the US immigration laws; not understanding the US immigration laws concerning international students may limit your future plans. Please visit

What should I do if my visa is delayed?

If you think that you may not get your US visa on time, you can defer your attendance to a later semester. Please contact

When are the orientation dates?

Information about orientation dates will be sent out to all admitted students via email. Please check your email. If you have any questions, contact

What is the absolute last day of arrival on Syracuse University Campus and check-in to the EECS department and the international student office?

You must arrive on campus so that you can attend both the departmental and international student orientations (see above). If you are not able, then you may consider to defer your admission to a later semester. (See above for information regarding deferral)

Where can I find EECS faculty information?

Visit the EECS Department. You will find a lot of information about the department including information on faculty.

Is it possible to change to another program within the EECS department?

Even if you are admitted to one program in the EECS department, that does not mean you will be automatically admitted to another program in the department. Once you arrive at Syracuse, you may apply for an internal transfer after finishing one semester. The department will assess your qualifications for the program that you wish to transfer and make a decision. It is entirely possible that your application to transfer may be denied, or that any merit scholarship you had may not transfer to the new program. We do not accept or process an internal transfer before you arrive at Syracuse and complete one semester.

How do I pay my deposit after my visa gets approved?

The official letter from the Graduate Enrollment Management Center (GEMC) will provide all the details for how to submit your deposit. If you have not received the letter after a reasonable amount of time, please contact

When can I register for classes through myslice?

For Fall, usually you should wait until August 1st. For Spring admissions, we will send you an email regarding registration. All registration advising will happen during the departmental orientation. Therefore, it is essential to attend the departmental orientation.

I would like to defer my admission. Which semester can I defer to?

You can start either in Fall or in Spring semester. After your admission is deferred for one year, no additional deferrals will be granted and you must re-apply for admission.

Who will be my academic advisor?

International students may need to list their academic advisor as part of their visa application process. Please list program director Dr. Qinru Qiu as your advisor. Her website is

Otherwise,  you will receive advising/course selection information prior to the registration start date. Please hold your other questions for Orientation.

I have been in the US for a while. Can I get my TOEFL score waived?

No. Please visit our international students webpage.

I don’t think I need the bridge course(s) assigned to me. How do I get a waiver?

The admission committee carefully reviewed your application and made that recommendation. Therefore, we will not review your application again. There may be an exemption exam depending on the number of students who wish to re-evaluated.

Do I have to pay for bridge courses?


What are “Bridge Courses?”

These are courses assigned to you at the time of admission which will allow you to succeed in your academic coursework.

I was denied admission. Can you reconsider?

No. You can apply for the next academic year after improving your academic background.

What are the requirements for graduation for MSEE, MSCE, MSCS, and other programs?

Visit our academic programs for more information.