The M.S. in environmental engineering science is intended for students with other technical/scientific undergraduate degrees.
Requirements with Thesis
30 credit hours. The candidate must complete a set of core courses offered by the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. In addition, the student must complete a cohesive program of elective coursework approved by the student’s advisor. All fulltime M.S. candidates are expected to participate in faculty/student seminar series each year. Furthermore, six credits of CEE 997-Master’s Thesis must be taken culminating in the defense of the thesis administered by the student’s thesis committee.
Requirements without Thesis
30 credit hours. The candidate must complete a set of core courses offered by the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. In addition, the student must complete a cohesive program of elective coursework approved by the student’s advisor. Furthermore, the student is required to take CEE 995-Master’s Exit Paper for 0 credits. The exit paper must address issues related to their specialty approved by the advisor and have a minimum length of 2000 words.
Based on exit surveys from 2017, 2018 and 2019 Syracuse University Civil and Environmental Engineering M.S. graduates.
- Companies that hire our graduates: American Iron Works, CHA Consulting, Deloitte, Dubai Contracting Company, Hebert Construction, HNTB, Jacobs, Kenney Geotechnical Services, Larson Design Group, Michael Baker International, National Guard Bureau, NK Bhandari Architecture & Engineering, O’Brien & Gere, POWER Engineers, Schnabel Engineering, Silman, The Intelligence Group, Urban Assembly Academy of Government and Law, Whitacre Engineering, Windward Environmental, Self-employed
- In Summer 2018, students interned at: Bechtel, CME Engineering, DeSimone Consulting Engineers, Jacobs Engineering, Lovvorn Construction, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse Regional Airport Authority, Upstate Freshwater Institute, Vidaris
- Job location: 84% in the US, 16% outside of US
- Job location within the US: 55% in Syracuse/Central New York, 25% in Metropolitan New York City, 5%Metropolitan Baltimore/Washington, DC, 15% Other
- Job titles: Assistant Engineer, Assistant Project Manager, Bridge Engineer, Civil Engineer, Designer – Facilities Engineering Department (structural group), Environmental Manager, Junior Site Engineer, Project Manager, Staff Geotechnical Engineer, Staff Scientist, Structural EIT, Transmission Line Engineer (Civil/Structural)
- Base salary range: less than $45,000 – $104,999
- Median base salary range: $55,000 – $64,999