ECE Doctoral Program Coordinator
- Ph.D, Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1985
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1981
- B.S., Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea 1976
- Electromagnetics Laboratory
Areas of Expertise:
- Electromagnetic fields and waves
- Waves in complex and anisotropic media
- Antennas and propagation
- Microwave engineering
- Microwave remote sensing
Wave propagation and scattering involving complex media:
We use the dyadic Green’s functions to solve a variety of theoretical and practical problems involving complex (anisotropic) media. We have investigated and solved the problems of wave propagation, reflection & transmission, radiation and scattering of electromagnetic waves in the presence of such anisotropic media as well as bianisotropic media. Problems of antennas and microstrip circuits are also being treated. Anisotropic media that we have investigated include: (i) uniaxially anisotropic medium, (ii) biaxially anisotropic medium, (iii) electrically gyrotropic (gyroelectric) medium, and (iv) magnetically gyrotropic (gyromagnetic) medium.
Honors and Awards:
- Magna Cum Laude Honor, Seoul National University, Korea, 1976.
- Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher Award, 1999.
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal, 2000
- The Technology Alliance of CNY – College Educator of the Year Award, 2002
- IEEE Region 1 Award, August 2002 and August 2017
- Who’s Who in Electromagnetics
- Arlon T. Adams and Jay K. Lee, Electromagnetics, University Readers, First Edition, 2012; Cognella, Revised First Edition, 2015. [Undergraduate Electromagnetics course textbook, 632 pages] https://titles.cognella.com/electromagnetics-9781626615847.html
- Komlan Payne, Kevin Xu, Jun H. Choi, and Jay K. Lee, “Multiphysics analysis of plasma-based tunable absorber for high-power microwave applications,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 7624-7636, November 2021. DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2021.3070088
- Matthew S. Davis, Wenqi Zhu, Jared Strait, Jay K. Lee, Henri J. Lezec, Steve Blair, and Amit Agrawal, “Chiroptical response of aluminum nanocrescents at ultraviolet wavelengths,” Nano Letters, April 2020; nl-2020-005864. DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c00586
- Michael D. Enders, Jun H. Choi, and Jay K. Lee, “Integrated full hemisphere space-to-frequency mapping antenna with CRLH stripline feed network,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 66, No. 11, pp. 4765-4772, November 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TMTT.2018.2864614
- Kepei Sun, Jay Kyoon Lee and Jennifer W. Graham, “Fields and wave modes analysis of rectangular waveguide filled with uniaxial medium,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 3429-3440, Nov. 2016.
- Mohsen Yazdani, Jay K. Lee, Joseph Mautz, Ercument Arvas, and Kepei Sun, “Ray tracing theory in a radially uniaxial sphere,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, pp. 5165- 5169, November 2015.
- Brian J. Rautio, Vladimir I. Okhmatovski, Andreas C. Cangellaris, James C. Rautio, and Jay K. Lee, “The unified-FFT algorithm for fast electromagnetic analysis of planar integrated circuits printed on layered media inside a rectangular enclosure,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 1112-1121, May 2014.
- Ying Huang and Jay K. Lee, “Radiation from an arbitrarily oriented Hertzian dipole in the presence of a gyroelectric slab,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, pp. 1837- 1843, April 2014.
- Jennifer W. Graham and Jay K. Lee, “Reflection and transmission from biaxially anisotropic-isotropic interfaces,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, pp. 681-702, 2013.
- Chong Mei, Moamer Hasanovic, Jay K. Lee, and Ercument Arvas, “Comprehensive solution to scattering by bianisotropic objects of arbitrary shape,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, pp. 335-362, 2012.
- Abdullah Eroglu, Yun Hee Lee, and Jay K. Lee, “Dyadic Green’s functions for multi-layered uniaxially anisotropic media with arbitrarily oriented optic axis,” IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology) Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, Iss.15, pp. 1779-1788, 2011.
- Abdullah Eroglu and Jay K. Lee, “Far field radiation from an arbitrarily oriented Hertzian dipole in an unbounded electrically gyrotropic medium,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research (PIER), vol. 89, pp. 291-310, 2009.