Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
243 Link Hall
- Ph.D., Columbia University
- Syracuse Biomaterials Institute
- Micromechanics of interfaces
- Vascular mechanics
- Effective composite property analysis
- Constitutive material modeling
Professor Levy’s research interests lie in the fields of nonlinear mechanics and applied mathematics and focus primarily on the micromechanics of interfaces, vascular mechanics, effective composite property analysis and constitutive material modeling.
Current research activities in vascular mechanics are focused on i) the incipient growth of abdominal aortic aneurysm and ii) the fundamental mechanisms that underlie the mechanical stability of healthy and diseased arterial tissue and its constituents. Research in interface mechanics is concerned with the static and quasi-static analysis of crack-like defects in various geometries/loadings.
- Graduate: Mathematical Methods, Elasticity, Continuum Mechanics, Inelasticity, Vibrations
- Undergraduate: Statics, Mechanics of Solids
- Faculty Excellence Award
- Pi Tau Sigma (by invitation)
- Pi Tau Sigma Award for Outstanding Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- ASME Service Certificates
- Numerous biographical listing including American Men and Women of Science and Who’s Who.
Song, Y., and Levy, A. J., “Exact Analysis of Mode III Cohesive Fracture in Layered Elastic Composites.” International Journal of Fracture, 2020, 225:169–190 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10704-020-00471-1
Song, Y., and Levy, A. J. “Exact Analysis of Mode-III Cohesive Fracture of a Cylindrical Bar in Torsion.” J. Appl. Mech. 2019; 86(10): 101012. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4044384
Levy, A.J. and Zhang, X., “Tensile Stability of Medial Arterial Tissues,” J. Appl. Mech. (2016);83(5):051013-051013-7. doi:10.1115/1.4032858.
Levy, A.J. and Li, W., “Adaption of the Clinical Correlation Instructional Model for 2nd Year Engineering Science Courses,” International Journal of Engineering Education 29 1144-1154 (2013).
Nguyen, C. and Levy, A.J., “Cohesive Fracture of Plane Orthotropic Layers,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 50 1266–1284 (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2012.12.024
Levy, A.J., “On the Treatment of Statical Indeterminacy in the Elementary Statics of Particles and Rigid Bodies,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education 40 329-345 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.7227/IJMEE.40.3